Aramada Township

Building Department

The building department regulates and monitors construction within the township based on local zoning and ordinances and in accordance with the state building code. Permits are required for building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical projects and applications are downloadable here.

The building department is supported by a secretary on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays who takes care of the day-to-day business of the department.

Township Inspectors
Mel McNutt - Building Inspectors
Tim Dillon - Electrical Inspector
George Ryan - Plumbing and Mechanical Inspector

Building Administrator
Christine White - Monday-Thursday - 9am-4pm

Applications and Requirements

Building Permit Application
Building Permit Application Requirements effective 4-1-21
Electrical Permit Application 
Plumbing Permit Application 
Mechanical Permit Application 


Inspections are required after obtaining building, electrical, plumbing or mechanical permits. There are typically 10 types of building inspections required for new residential construction. Electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits typically require a rough and final inspection. There may be other types of inspections required based on the type and amount of work being performed. You will be given an inspection checklist after your plan review is complete.

Inspections can be booked by calling the Township office. When requesting your inspection, you must have the following information. Without all of this information, your inspection will not be scheduled.

  • Type of inspection needed
  • Address of the job
  • Permit Number

Plumbing, electrical and mechanical inspections are made Monday through Thursday. After an inspection has been completed, a sticker will be left on the premises indicating if the work was approved or not. 

If the work was not approved, the inspector will leave notice on what needs to be corrected. Once the corrections are completed, the homeowner or contractor should call the office to schedule a re-inspection. Each case is different, but normally, there is a re-inspection fee. 


Permits are required for various projects such as  commercial buildings, residential buildings, demolitions and accessory structures, which include detached garages, pole barns, sheds over 200 square feet, swimming pools, ponds, additions and decks.

Construction Plan Review
Plans must be submitted for all commercial and residental construction. Specific instructions are listed on the building application requirement form.

Residential and commercial permits take approximately 10 days to process due to the review time needed before approval is granted. Building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits can be obtained during normal business hours on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Download Application for Building permit and plan examination.

Demolition Permits
A permit is required for the demolition of any commercial or residential building. When submitting for a permit to demolish a building, a written release from all utility companies indicating services have been properly terminated is required.

Detached Assessory Building Permits
A permit is required for all detached assessory buildings over 200 square feet and all buildings must compny with zoning requirements.

Electrical Permits
Permits are required for the installation of new electrical service equipment, existing electrical service relocation, service increases as well as fixed appliances and equipment connections. Permit costs are based on the size of the service, number of circuits, type of installation and the minimum fee is $50. Download electrical permit application.

Mechanical Permits
Permits are required for the installation or replacement of any furnace or central air conditioner, duct work installation and gas piping installations. Fees are based on the size of HVAC units, number of gas outlets, type of installation and the minimum fee is $50. Download mechanical permit application.

Plumbing Permits
Permits are requries for the insattion of any new plumbing fixture, hot water heater, water system supply lines and any new drain waste or vent pipes. Fees are based on the number of fixtures, drain lines, size of supply lines, type of installation and the minimum fee is $60. Download plumbing permit application.

Swimming Pools
Permits are required for all swimming pools, above and below the ground, holding more than two feet of water. An electrical permit is required for the grounding and additional circuits needed. For the protection of the general public, all swimming pools shall be completely enclosed by a fence or other means of access control meeting the requirements of the state building code. Above ground pools may have gates, removable swing-up steps or other means to limit entry in lieu of a fence.

A mechanical permit is required for the installation of a pre-fab fireplace and it must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications. All pre-fab fireplaces must be approved by a nationally recognized testing agency.

Certificate of Occupancy
No building or portion of a building may be occupied until a certificate of occupancy has been issue and obtained. A certificate of occupancy will be issued when construction is completed, with all applicable codes, and all inspections have been approved. A certificate of occupancy can be obtained the next business day after the last inspection has been approved by calling the township office.